2kg beef shortrib
One and half cup dark brown sugar
Six garlic cloves, finely chopped
Two tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup tomato Sauce
One cup dark stout – Castle Milk Stout works well
½ cup malt vinegar
Four thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- Place ribs in pot and cover with water. Bring up heat until the water comes up to a simmer and parboil the ribs for about 30 minutes.
- Mix sugar, garlic, sauces, beer, vinegar and thyme in a bowl.
- Drain the water. Pour marinade mixture over the ribs and allow to cool.
- Let ribs marinate for about an hour in the fridge.
- Have the braai nice and hot so that the meat and marinade caramelise quickly.
- The ribs are already cooked so they will probably only take about five to 10 mins to finish cooking.
- Use the remaining marinade to baste the ribs while they are on the braai.
- Once the ribs are done, put them on a serving dish and add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Reprinted with the permission of Bluff Meat Supply. – FOOD24.COM