- Two cups of cooked IWISA parboiled samp – the samp must not be soft at all. It must still be slightly al dente, or firm, when you bite it
- Two large onions, finely chopped
- Three tablespoons cooking oil
- Three cardamom pods
- Three teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- One teaspoon fennel seeds
- One teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon coriander, finely ground
- Four teaspoons curry powder
- One teaspoon turmeric powder
- One cinnamon stick
- One teaspoon chilli flakes
- Four large garlic cloves, grated
- Two thumbs fresh ginger, grated
- Six medium tomatoes, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Fry onion until translucent.
- Add all the spices as well as the grated garlic and ginger. Fry slowly for about five minutes.
- Add the grated tomato and let it simmer until thick – about 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add ½ cup of water and let simmer again until thick again. Add samp and heat through for about five minutes. Season to taste.
- Serve with fresh coriander and roll.