TWO people from Pietermaritzburg will have fingers amputated at Edendale Hospital.
They sustained injuries after they mishandled fireworks.
KZN MEC for health Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo said the two were among seven people who were injured.
Five were treated and discharged, while 44-year-old Buselaphi Khumalo and 12-year-old Yolanda Jaca had to be kept in hospital due to serious injuries
Dhlomo said he learned of the two while on his annual visit to the hospital to welcome babies born on New Year’s Day.
“People need to be careful when handling fireworks. These injuries could have been avoided,” he said.
Yolanda is believed to have sustained injuries to her palm, index finger and ring finger.
Buselaphi injured her thumb and index finger.
Dhlomo said it was not yet clear if there were other similar incidents in other parts of the province.
Speaking from her hospital bed, Buselaphi from Sweetwaters said the start of her new year was ruined.
She said she found it hard to accept that she would lose her finger.
“I can’t believe that a part of my thumb will be amputated.
“I was outdoors and used fireworks to celebrate the new year like everyone else.
“But the problem started when it exploded in my hand before I threw it away.
“I had to be rushed to hospital, while other people enjoyed themselves,” she said.