JOBURG Metro cops created a buzz on social media at the weekend.
A video showing a Metro cop taking bribes from motorists attracted thousands of comments slamming the Metro force.
Even former Metro cops hit out at the cop’s behaviour, saying law enforcement agency members were supposed to combat crime, not commit it.
Spokesman Chief Superintendent Wayne Minnaar thanked the person who took the video.
“The incident was reported to our internal affairs department for investigation,” he said.
“The Joburg Metro Police Department condemns all acts of fraud and corruption.”
The video shows the cop sitting in a car and searching a motorist for money.
Just hours after the video was posted, it had attracted more than 3 000 views, with lots of comments.
Some of these include:
- Yoland Huxtable – I hope something gets done about this, not just cheap talk.
- Hilton Gomer – The saddest part is that I’ve had the pleasure of working with some of the top guys at JMPD, as well as members on the ground – ones that actually have a passion for what they do. These rotten apples that just want money bring the whole team down.
- Rhulani Morwa Modjadji – Corruptor and corrupted both must face the law equally.
- Shawn Bickerton – Scary thing is, this happens every day!
- Arvine Ramdeen – I was a JMPD officer. I once helped a motorist who, in turn, said I asked for a bribe. Those dogs at JMPD worked me out. Let’s see if they do it to their own kind.
- Michael Hlungwane – Wayne, I wish to see results here.