RESIDENTS of Phumula are tired of their transformer being overloaded.
Gert Mofokeng (73), a community leader in the Ekurhuleni kasi, told Daily Sun everything was fine until people started building back rooms.
He said he believed the back rooms were putting too much pressure on the grid and the municipality needed to install another transformer.
He said at the beginning of the year, the transformer caught fire and it happened again on Saturday, 21 May.
“We’re tired of living without electricity,” he said.
The residents said they spent a lot of money buying meat, only for it to end up rotting in their fridges.
Lydia Mokoena said: “We also spend a lot on paraffin, which now costs R18 per litre. We need this fixed urgently.”
A gogo (73) said: “This area is full of old people and we live with our grandkids. We need our houses to be warm because it’s winter,” she said.
Municipal spokesman Zweli Dlamini said the city was fixing the transformer problem. He pleaded with residents not to make illegal connections.