A MUM and her son died on Sunday after eating tripe they were allegedly given by a neighbour.

Now the family of Dipuo (46) and Andile Sebonyane (30) want answers as not long after eating it, the two started feeling sick. They were later rushed to hospital, where they died.

Two more family members, Millicent (24) and Caswell (22), survived as Millicent only ate a little bit and Caswell had none.

Dipuo’s brother-in-law, Lehlohonolo Nkepane (38), said they almost lost the whole family from JB Mafora in Mangaung.

“Dipuo was not at home when the neighbour brought food in a container. She found the three kids and told them not to eat the food as it was for their mother,” he said.

“It was the first time she had brought them food but she was not Dipuo’s enemy.

“A few hours after they ate it, they started feeling sick and were rushed to Pelonomi Hospital. Dipuo and Andile died, while Millicent spent a night in hospital.”


Andile and Dipuo Sebonyane died after eating sheep tripe.

Another neighbour said Millicent came to her house asking for milk as she said her stomach was really hurting.

Police spokesman Brigadier Motantsi Makhele said the Kagisanong police were investigating. “It’s alleged that both deceased collapsed and were vomiting white foam after eating food they were given by a neighbour. The neighbour gave them a Tupperware container of sheep’s intestines,” he said.