7 months ago
Elsie Maponya inside her house in Boekenhout after it caught fire for the second time. Photo by Samson Ratswana  ~ 

WHEN a fire first struck last month, eating all her furniture and clothes, gogo Elsie Maponya thought she might have forgotten to switch off her electrical appliances.

But on Friday, the evil flames visited again!

And even though there was no furniture left, firefighters emptied their tank of water and still needed more.

The mysterious fires both started around midnight and in the same bedroom.

The 87-year-old from Boekenhout in Mabopane, north of Tshwane, was puzzled and didn’t know what to do . . .

She’s partially deaf and lives with her epileptic son.

The gogo told Daily Sun that after the mysterious fire struck late last month she was sad, but she accepted her losses and started rebuilding her house. She moved into the back rooms while builders repaired her house.

“I took the little money I had and started rebuilding,” she said.

“I was happy because the builders were quick and my son moved into a room they had finished.”

But now gogo is again left with nothing.

“I was fast asleep when I was woken up by my tenants,” she said. “We found my son on the floor. He had inhaled smoke but luckily he wasn’t injured. We rushed him to hospital.”

After the second fire they called in pastors, who prayed for the house.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

The Gauteng Department of Health has launched an ATM Pharmacy in Alexander. What's your take on the initiative?