Today is Human Rights Day and hundreds of events are taking place across the country, including political gatherings.
Government has hosted a number of activities since the beginning of the month, leading up to the holiday.
- The main event will be held today at George Thabe Cricket Pitch in Sharpeville, Vereeniging.
- The Limpopo government, led by Premier Stanley Mathabatha, will host the provincial commemoration at the Killarney Sports Ground in Ga-Mokgehle in the Capricorn district from 10am today.
- The Human Rights Commission’s Western Cape office will host an information session at the Lamberts Bay Clinic today.
- The Constitutional Hill Human Rights Festival is presenting its second edition at Constitutional Hill in Joburg from today to Sunday (24 March 2019).
- The Apartheid Museum in Joburg will host a Human Rights debate titled The Black Body: (Still) a Site of Oppression today.
- In the Western Cape, all national museums will allow free entry on Human Rights Day, excluding the Planetarium, Groot Constantia, Digital Dome and Castle of Good Hope.
- Robben Island Museum, in partnership with the Argentinian museum ESMA will host an exhibition next Thursday at the Nelson Mandela Gateway To Robben Island in Cape Town.
- On March 30, in the spirit of Human Rights Day, the Sharpeville Food Festival will take place at George Thabe Stadium.