Trimming, repairing and treating split ends can be a bit tricky. Try these useful tips to stop split ends in their tracks.
What are split ends? These are damaged parts of the hair shaft where the cortex is exposed because the cuticle is broken. This usually happens to frail and dry hair.
READ: WALK LIKE A QUEEN BEFORE YOU ARE A QUEEN!
1. It’s so important to get a regular trim, aim for once every six weeks. We recommend getting them snipped professionally to ensure the best tools are used to cut the hair.
2. Over and above using a sharp pair of scissors that’s designed specifically to cut hair, you need to pay attention to the cutting technique. Your hairstylist should cut the ends diagonally and not at a slope. If the stylist snips at the angle, that would increase your chances of breakage.
3. The hair needs to be trimmed while dry, not when it’s wet. Wet trimming may lead to what you’re trying to prevent.
4. Cut down on any form of heat styling. We all know that is not the best thing for our hair however it’s a necessary evil when trying to achieve certain looks. Keep the blow drying and flat ironing at a bare minimum. Make sure your hair is clean, conditioned as well as protected with a heat serum.
5. Make deep-conditioning part of your weekly washing routine. Go for conditioners with protein as they fortify the hair strand, preventing future damage like peeling, breaking and chipping while intensely moisturising the hair.