USING your smartphone while driving can be a dangerous activity.
It is much safer to connect your mobile device to your car through platforms like Apple CarPlay or Android Auto and send it hands-free.
Even budget cars such as the Datsun GO now offer compatibility for both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Here is a simple guide to connecting your phone to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
1. Your Android device needs to run Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher.
2. Download Android Auto from the Google Play Store.
3. Connect your phone to the car via Bluetooth or USB cable while the car is on but parked.
4. Select Android Auto on your car display and the instructions to get started.
1. Go into your iPhone settings and make sure that Siri is turned on.
2. Connect your phone to the car via USB cable while the car is on but parked.
3. Or if you prefer Bluetooth, press and hold the voice-command button on your steering wheel. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay, tap Available cars, then select your car.
4. Select Apple CarPlay on your car display and the instructions to get started.