TEN things you need to know about the Audi RS3.
With its high-tech suspension, a new five-cylinder engine with best-in-class performance and a sharper look, the Audi RS3 sedan sizzles and SunWheels just had the opportunity to test it.
- The RS3 is the first compact Audi sedan to bear the RS label as well as the first to feature a transversely-mounted five-cylinder engine.
- Its 2,5 TFSI engine has been voted “International Engine of the Year” in its class for seven consecutive years.
- Power output is a whopping 294 kW, which is an increase of 24 kW versus the previous model RS3.
- The max torque of 480 Nm is available at engine speeds from as low as 1 700 r/min and remains constant up to 5 850 r/min.
- The five-cylinder engine catapults the sedan from zero to 100 km/h in a blistering 4,1 seconds.
- On request, Audi can increase the electronically limited top speed from 250 km/h to 280 km/h.
- The engine is mated to a slick seven-speed S tronic automatic transmission. There is a choice of two driving programmes in automatic mode. In D mode, the engine is optimised for everyday traffic. In S mode, the engine is designed for more agility and the revs are higher. Gears are shifted within hundredths of a second.
- It comes with Audi’s renowned quattro permanent all-wheel drive, which combines gripping with considerable stability.
- The RS3’s dark-toned interior has top-notch build quality and sporty flair and comes with sport seats and several luxury and technical features.
- Pricing starts at R925 500.