THEMBA Mazibuko from Springs, Ekurhuleni, used to live with his parents and brother in their home in Tsakane.

After his parents died, his relationship with his brother turned bad and he was chased out of the house. He went to the human settlements department to lodge a complaint. He was told the court had awarded the house to his brother. They didn’t explain how or why.


Themba may start by going to court to ask the registrar of the court to see the files.

The file will tell him how the court arrived at the decision. If he was served with papers, he can apply for the judgment to be overturned because the case was decided in his absence. He should be afforded a chance to tell his side of the story.