ZITHE Fijao from Bekkersdal in Westonaria, Gauteng, said he worked for a security company for a number of months but has never been paid.

He said when he wanted to talk to the managers he was told he could only be paid if he resigned, and that would be in the form of a UIF payment.


According to the Basic Conditions of Employment Act, an employer who refuses to pay your salary is in breach of contract.

As an employee, you can lodge a complaint in writing with the employer.

If that doesn’t work, you can lodge a complaint at the Department of Labour.

You can also still have a civil claim against the employer for breach of contract.