PHYLLIS Mnguni from Dzanani, Limpopo, said her husband died last year, but she has still not received a payout from the provident fund.

She only got money for funeral expenses. She said when she contacted the employer, they told her to submit documents and she did. But she still hasn’t received the money.


If Phyllis knows the name of the provident fund, she should approach them directly to submit her claim. The fund will contact the employer about any outstanding information as the employer is the one delaying her claim.

Should there be problems after that, she can lodge a complaint with the Pension Fund Adjudicator, who can be reached on 012 346 1738.