Paptert is a delicious and modern South African meal.
This recipe is made from mieliepap and a delicious layer of ready-cooked mogodu filling.
Since you only need to make pap, this quick and easy meal is great for the day after Christmas – when something simple would be better. Leftovers keep well in the fridge until the following day, but reheat well before eating.
- Use the one you like
- One 330g packet of heat-and-eat of Dinolo chilli or gravy mogodu
- Salt and black pepper
- 2½ cups of grated cheese
- Pour the packet of mogodu in a saucepan and stir gently for about five minutes until hot.
- The pap must be stiff but spreadable so add either boiling water or maize meal until the consistency is correct.
- Use a spoon to smooth half the warm pap into a greased, medium-sized ovenproof dish.
- Add half of the mogodu on top of the pap. Sprinkle one cup of grated cheese over the top.
- Spread the rest of the pap followed by the rest of the mogodu and then the cheese.
- Bake for about an hour at 180°C until the tart is bubbling gently, and the cheese has browned.
- You can also place the dish on top of the braai and cook gently.