- One packet jelly, any flavour
- Three cups fruit chunks, fresh
- One sponge cake, cut in chunks
- 60ml sweet sherry or brandy
- One cup custard, fresh
- 250ml cream, whipped
- 100ml juice of oranges
- 100g sugar cubes
- Make jelly according to packet instructions.
- Refrigerate until just starting to set – this is to prevent the fruit from sinking.
- Stir fruit in jelly, then spoon into serving dish or glasses. Refrigerate until set. Top jelly with sponge chunks. Drizzle with sherry or brandy.
- Spoon over custard and top with whipped cream.
- Heat orange juice and sugar in a saucepan. stir until sugar melts.
- Boil sugar juice for about five minutes or until it reaches a thick caramel consistency. Allow to cool slightly.
- Drizzle trifle with caramel, garnish with pomegranate seeds and refrigerate until ready to serve.
This recipe is sponsored by Pick n Pay and was created by Fresh Living magazine.