IT may be the legal right of every woman in Mzansi to a safe abortion, but the system can make accessing that right difficult.
Watch public health graduate and #SizaMap researcher Susan Saburi talk about a problem that can be in the way of women wanting an abortion in the rural province of Limpopo:
Click here to see #SizaMap, which shows you where you can get a safe, legal abortion.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Each year half of the 55,7 million abortions that take place worldwide are unsafe.
- Up to 13% of deaths among pregnant women can be attributed to unsafe abortions.
- Abortions are mostly only legal up to 20 weeks of pregnancy, but there are exceptions.
- A legal abortion in South Africa can only be performed by a midwife, a registered nurse trained for the procedure, a general practitioner or a gynaecologist.
- Between 2007 and 2008, six out of 10 pregnancies in the country were unplanned.