SA Rugby and its director Rassie Erasmus have withdrawn their appeal against the ban handed down by World Rugby.

Erasmus, who helped the Boks win the World Cup final in 2019 when they beat England, was slapped with a ban by world rugby on Tuesday last week for two months for all rugby activities and also banned from all match-day activities (including coaching, contact with match officials, and media engagement) with immediate effect until 30 September 2022.

However, Saru, who was also fined for £20,000 (R422 320, 58) by world rugby, confirmed that they will appeal the decision.

But now they have said they will not appeal the decision along with Erasmus, who has also apologised to Australia referee Nic Berry.  

Erasmus, a forthright coach, set tongues wagging when he lashed out at referee Berry after the first test match of the British and Irish Lions in Cape Town in July.

He highlighted over 26 incidents that went against the Springboks which Berry did not penalize the visitors.

While the Springboks lost that match, bounced back and went on to win the Series 2-1 in what was an intense three test matches.   

“SA Rugby and Rassie Erasmus wish to apologise to the match officials appointed to the first Test of the Springboks’ Series against the British & Irish Lions,” said Saru in the statement.

“We also confirm that SA Rugby and Erasmus have advised World Rugby that they withdraw their Notice of Appeal and will not lodge an appeal against the sanctions imposed by the Judicial Committee.

“This has been a highly stressful and charged environment with unusual pressures placed on all concerned and we have no wish to prolong that experience for anyone.

“We have drawn a line under the incident and only wish to look forward. We will respect the outcomes of the hearing, allowing our national teams and rugby operations to plan with clarity for the coming months.”