NO SOONER had Kermit Erasmus left French side Rennes than he was linked with a move back to the PSL.
The 27-year-old was released from his contract at the Ligue 1 side on Friday and now sits in limbo as he ponders his next move.
But even as a free agent, Erasmus is unlikely to secure a move across the European leagues given his form. It’s more likely he will find himself back in the Premiership.
The former Orlando Pirates marksman hasn’t played a French Ligue 1 match this season, featuring only in two matches for Rennes’ reserve side.
It is rather a sad indictment of how far the former Bafana Bafana striker has regressed in the last two years.
To put this into context, in the year the former SuperSport United marksman joined Rennes from Bucs, he could not score a goal nor provide an assist in nine appearances.
To rediscover his scoring form, Erasmus joined Ligue 2 outfit Lens on a year-long loan spell. But his luck did not improve, as he only netted once in 12 matches before returning to Rennes, where he has spent the last six months with the reserves.
- But it may very well be a completely different story for Lebo Mothiba, who marked his return to Ligue 1 with a goal for Lille at the weekend.
Mothiba scored eight goals in 20 games during his loan spell at Valenciennes.
His first Ligue 1 goal secured a 2-2 draw with Nantes for his Lille team, who are just two points clear of automatic relegation.
- Also in the Ligue 1, Keagan Dolly started his second consecutive match for Montpellier in their 1-0 win against Metz at the weekend.
The nippy Bafana winger lasted for 68 minutes but his effort was enough to ensure his team can push for a top five finish after a slow start to the season.
On his official Twitter handle, Dolly wrote: “Not the best of games but we got what we came here for, 3 points and we move on #TeamMHSC.”
- Bongani Zungu’s Amiens club are in an ominous 17th spot in the Ligue 1 standings, equal on 25 points with Angers and right in the relegation mire.
- Meanwhile in the Dutch Eredivisie, Thulani Serero played the full match as Vitesse thumped Feyernoord 3-1, while Kamohelo Mokotjo was an unused substitute as Brentford were held 1-1 by Preston North End in the English Championship.
- In Belgium’s Jupiler League, Andile Jali came off the bench as Oostende recorded their first win in three matches against Anderlecht.
Like this story? Get the free Daily Kick App today and stay on top of your game with only the best from SunSport, Soccer Laduma, KickOff and many more!
ALL YOUR SOCCER AND NEWS IN ONE PLACE THATHA ZONKE