FORMER president Jacob Zuma’s corruption case has been certified trial-ready.
The Zuma and French arms company Thales matter was back in the Pietermaritzburg High Court on Tuesday.
But the former president didn’t come to court today, with only his legal team present.
This happened, even though the date had been set with both parties agreeing to it.
The two face charges of corruption, racketeering and money laundering linked to the multimillion rand arms deal.
An attempt by Thales to have the charges of racketeering against it dropped failed when the court dismissed its application with costs. The company decided not to appeal the decision.
Today, state Advocate Billy Downer said all pretrial issues had been resolved. He told the court that they had agreed the trial would start in May, and asked Judge Nkosinathi Chili that it ran for two terms.
He said there were more than 200 witnesses and therefore, the matter would take time.
“We have all agreed that we are ready for trial. As the matter was previously postponed for outstanding issues, those have now been resolved,” he said.
He added that the accused asked to be excused from court, but that they would be available when the trial began.
However, the judge postponed the matter to 17 May until 20 June.
National Prosecuting Authority provincial spokeswoman Natasha Kara said further dates would be determined following any decision made by the presiding officer and judge.