THEMBISA Mancoba worked hard to save money so her son (25) could have clothes for initiation school.

However, on Monday, 22 November, a fire in her house in Samora Machel, Cape Town, destroyed everything.

She told Daily Sun: “I am a struggling single mother who has been saving since January for my son to go to initiation school. I managed to buy him blankets and clothes.”

Thembisa said she came home from work and put on her gas stove before going outside for water.

“While outside, I saw flames coming from my shack. If it was gas, I would have heard the explosion.

“I think it was vutha sent to kill me and my daughter because my son was not around.”

She said maybe it was a sign that her son should not go to the mountain or it was sent by people who were jealous that she was able to send him.

“It was so strong that I couldn’t even save my ID or son’s clothes. He was a laughing stock because at his age, he is still a boy while kids younger than him had already gone to initiation school.”

Thembisa pleaded with Good Samaritans to donate to rebuild her life.

Samuel Simangwe (34) also lost his home. “I was at work when the fire started and no one was home. We were shocked when we came back to find our shack destroyed.”

Fire and Rescue Services spokesman Jermaine Carelse said they were on the scene.

“The blaze destroyed four structures and 16 people were displaced. And, no injuries were reported.”