FAMILIES of some of the people gunned down in Zwelibombu at KwaNdengezi, west of Durban, were hopeful arrests would be made soon.
Some relatives of the nine people gunned down on Saturday met with Police Minister Bheki Cele.
Cele was accompanied by national police commissioner General Khehla Sithole and Community Safety MEC Bheki Ntuli.
On Saturday, four men aged between 17 and 21 were gunned down on suspicion of stealing livestock.
It’s alleged they were gunned down in full view of residents, who were happy the men had been killed.
Later in the day, six people in a Renault Duster were shot: five died and one survived. It’s alleged they were accompanying one of the friends when they were stopped by a VW Polo which had masked men.
The men allegedly demanded guns from them before shooting them in their heads.
Three men and two women died while one woman survived and is fighting for her life in hospital.
Residents are living in fear, as a result.
Speaking to the families at a community hall, Cele said:
“The death of so many people in a space of eight to 10 hours is a serious matter. That’s why we decided to come here and find out what really happened.”
His visit brought hope to the families whose loved ones were killed.
An uncle of Mxolisi Phungula (22), Rickey Phungula (38) from Pietermaritzburg, said he got a call yesterday morning.
“I really don’t understand why they were killed. But I heard there was a total of six people in the car,” he said.
“They were taken out of the car and killed. But seeing the minister today gave me hope the suspects will be caught soon.”