AFTER a chief (66) and his co-accused who were bust for kidnapping a local man applied for bail on Monday, villagers allegedly got so furious they burnt down the royal palace on Tuesday night 11 May.

The accused who were arrested last month applied for bail in the Tshaulu Periodic Court outside Thohoyandou in Limpopo.

Their case was supposed to be heard on Thursday but the matter was postponed due to a shortage of electricity.

The victim of the kidnapping, Lucas Mbedzi (34) from the same village of Ha-Tshikonelo, was allegedly kidnapped on the 19 April 2021 while he was drinking beer at a tavern.

He alleged he was surprised to find himself in the bush at Nyabane Village at around 8pm but he managed to escape.

The royal family’s spokesman told Daily Sun they are devastated after the palace was set alight.

gd
Furious residents allegedly burned down a Royal Palace after a local Chief and his co-accused tried to apply for bail on Monday. Photos by Silas Nduvheni

“We were gathered in court for his bail application and sadly now his houses were set alight. We were hoping the assailants would wait for the law to take its course,” he said.

Community leader, Sipho Masiya, said they were shocked the palace was burnt down. He said he hopes the suspects don’t get bail until the truth comes out.

“There are lot of people who went missing in our village and it had been rumored that our headman is involved. We are just glad someone saw them and opened a case which led to their arrest.”

Police spokesman, Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo said they have launched a manhunt for suspects who burnt down the suspect’s houses and cases of malicious damage to property and arson have been opened.