THE case against the man accused of harassing a woman employee at Lanxess Mine was yesterday postponed to 7 October by the Rustenburg Regional Court.

The alleged sexual assault led to a week-long underground sit-in at Lanxess Mine in June.

The accused was bust that month.

Yesterday’s delay was to provide the state with enough time to investigate information provided by the defence.

The state said it had asked for certain documents to be provided on 19 August but only received them on Friday. It called this an ambush tactic that made it impossible for it to proceed. It said the documents contained info on the accused’s alibi which needed be be investigated, and it would need more than seven days to go through the papers.

But the defence said there had been no agreement on the date on which the documents should have been sent.

It said more evidence was attached to support the case.

The courtroom was filled with the victim’s supporters , who sang and chanted for the accused to remain behind bars.