A MYSTERIOUS fire burnt down the Kate family business last Friday morning.

Ntsikelelo Kate (38) told Daily Sun his sister saw a cloud of smoke outside the window of the family home in Samora Machel, Cape Town.

“At first we thought it was someone burning rubbish, but we were shocked when we went outside and saw my father’s Jeep on fire,” he said.

“We’re still confused because there’s no way the fire just started out of the blue. We think it might be vutha.”

Machines used to make cupboards were also burnt. Four outside rooms were affected.

“People lost all their belongings,” he said.

“We still have unanswered questions because the way it happened makes no sense.”

Ntsikelelo said if it wasn’t vutha, maybe the fire was started on purpose.

Zolani Stofile (38), whose shack burnt down said: “I’m stressing because I don’t have a job and I don’t know how I’ll replace what I lost in the fire.”

Jermaine Carelse of fire and rescue services said the fire crew was responding to a pedestrian knocked down in Duinefontein when an officer saw flames in Samora Machel.

“He investigated and found a double-storey dwelling, informal structures and a motor vehicle on fire. He immediately called on more resources to help,” he said.