IT’S been a week of evil fires that left many Mzansi residents destitute and homeless and others dead.

  • In Limpopo, a mysterious fire that started in the mountains in Manyuha, outside Thohoyandou, completely destroyed four homes.

One of the homeowners, Lawrence Muofhe (31), lost four rondavels in the fire.

He estimated the damage at R200 000.

Lawrence said he noticed there was fire in the nearby mountain on Sunday morning but didn’t think much about it.

“I left home for Tshikombani on Monday only to receive a call later that my home had burnt down.

“I rushed back only to find ashes with nothing to save,” he said.

He said three other homeowners suffered the same fate.

He said he was still confused as he had no money to rebuild his homestead.

“I live with my two brothers. We don’t know what to do as I earn very little,” he said.

The Vhembe Municipality and sector departments handed out food parcels and arranged temporary accommodation for the affected families.

  • In Tshwane, madala Jimmy Chauke (61) and his 12-year-old son Michael were burnt beyond recognition when their nine-roomed shack in Mamelodi East extension 11 caught fire on Tuesday.

Jimmy’s widow, Esther (59), narrowly escaped death and was admitted to Mamelodi Day Hospital in a serious condition.

The family was asleep when their shack caught fire.

Jimmy’s nephew, Michael (38), said his uncle loved kids and telling jokes.

“I’ll always remember his generosity and kindness,” he said

Tshwane emergency services spokesman Charles Mabaso said emergency workers arrived on the scene to find the shack already engulfed in flames.

  • In Ekurhuleni, scores of residents from Ponoma squatter camp were accommodated in churches or stayed with relatives after their shacks were razed to the ground in a fire on Monday night. Many had nowhere to go.

More than 900 people were affected.

“I lost everything. At least Gift of the Givers provided us with temporary solutions.

“We have a few nappies to last us a week,” said unemployed mother of three Nombuso Mabizela (42).

Councillor Andre du Plessis told Daily Sun some residents were accommodated in temporary shelters.

“They received food, blankets and nappies for the babies,” said Du Plessis.