PREPARATIONS were on track to bury Siphamandla Dlamini tomorrow.
But the family of the 27-year-old has to wait a little longer after cops fetched his body from a private funeral undertaker to conduct DNA tests on his decomposed body.
The family from Hlutankungu, near Highflats in southern KZN, said cops from Ixopo took back the body a few days after releasing it to them last week.
A relative told Daily Sun Siphamandla died in a car accident about three weeks ago.
“He didn’t come home after the December holidays. On 29 February he sent us a text message asking for money.
“He said he would come home soon, but on 10 March we got a call from the police asking us to come and identify a body they had found in the bush.
“We were told he was involved in a car crash on 1 March on the R66.”
She said the family went to a nearby garage, where they were shown footage of Siphamandla getting into a car.
“His body was found some distance away from where the accident happened.
The relative wanted his body to be released.
“The cops went to the funeral parlour on Tuesday and took the body away.
“They said they wanted to do DNA tests.
“We don’t understand why they want to do the tests now.”
Captain Nqobile Gwala said: “We’re waiting for DNA results. Once they’re back and positive, the body will be released to the family.
An inquest docket had been opened.