THE families of five people who were burned to death in Ikwezi, Mthatha in the Eastern Cape last year are still waiting to bury them.
Their remains have not yet been sent to Cape Town for DNA tests.
The men were killed during a fire attack.
Yesterday, victims’ families and residents marched to Ngangelizwe cop shop to complain to the station commander.
They said they had received no information from the cops about the status of the case and they had to chase after cops to find out the remains had not yet been sent away.
Mum Nolusindiso Hlamvana (39) said when she sees people of the same age as her murdered son Sinesipho (23) it hurts.
“All I want is to bury him in peace.”
Another mum, Ntombomzi Nyokana (34), said she didn’t have a good relationship with her son Senza (16) but she wanted closure.
“We would like to be able to move on. We can do this if we bury them, even though what happened was painful.”
Lwandile Sipunzi (26), who survived the attack which left his brother Mxolisi (31) dead, said he couldn’t get the incident out of his head.
“When I go to fetch water and see burned areas, it’s torture. Even the kids in the area are still traumatised by what they saw.”
Station commander Lieutenant-Colonel Mzoli Benuko apologised for the lack of communication. He said he had authorised a trip to Cape Town.
Meanwhile, suspects Siphelele Khweza and Melikhaya Dukashe will appear in the Mthatha Magistrates Court on murder charges next Thursday.