Last year
Piet Mahlangu said he had a bad feeling before his home was set alight on Saturday. Photo by Samson Ratswana  ~ 

PIET Mahlangu (45) of Winterveld, Tshwane is in shock after his house was burned to ashes.

He said he had a bad feeling before the house went up in flames.

“My girlfriend wanted to sleep over with our son, but I refused because I was not at home.”

Early on Saturday morning he got a call from neighbours, saying his house was burning.

“I rushed to the scene and found my house on fire,” he said.

Witnesses first heard glass breaking and then saw flames. Piet said no one saw who started the fire, but he suspects the former owners after they told him to move out.

“This house was abandoned, so the community leaders decided I should live here and take care of it,” he said.

Before that, nyaope smokers used it.

Piet said: “I never fight and I don’t have a lot of friends. It is clear people want me out of this house.”

He is happy no one was there at the time. Everything inside the house was burnt but the TV and DVD, which were stolen. “I lost everything including my important documents, certificates, clothes and money,” Piet said.

He is living with relatives until he gets the money to fix his house.

Police Captain Samuel Sebola said a case of malicious damage to property was opened. “No one has been arrested. Investigations are under way.”

Comment on this story
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining