9 days ago
SUNHERO TO THE RESCUE
Thapelo Mosa (right) led these children out of a burning building. Photo by Sammy Moretsi  ~ 

THE kids were playing in the foyer of the mosque on Saturday when a fire suddenly broke out next to the escape door.

But SunHero Thapelo Mosa (23) heard their frantic screams and came to the rescue.

The young man broke a window with his fist and jumped in to save them as the fire was quickly getting out of control.

Rescue workers were nowhere to be found.

While residents scrambled for water to put out the fire, Thapelo fought the flames.

By the time firefighters arrived at the mosque in Uptown, Rand West City, most of the flames had already been put out.

Residents said they were grateful to Thapelo for acting so quickly.

“The smoke was thick but I had to get to where the children were. I’m so grateful I managed to save them,” he said.

He was later taken to hospital to have his hand bandaged, as he had cut it when he broke the window.

Ayub Mokoena (48), the father of the rescued children, said: “We thank Allah for giving Thapelo strength to save my kids.”

The father said he was outside when the fire broke out.

Ayub told the SunTeam he suspected the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

Police Warrant Officer Sizakele Ndumiso said they were grateful that Thapelo helped.

Ndumiso said: “This was an emergency. Thankfully, the children are safe now.”

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

If the national elections were tomorrow... who would you vote for?