A KIDS’ game of hide and seek turned horrific in an instant when one of the boys suffered a serious electrical shock.

The kids from Zidedele Village in Empangeni, northern KZN, were playing the popular game on Saturday when Bonga Khanyile (6) was almost electrocuted by exposed wires inside an electricity box.

Residents said municipal workers had come to fix the box earlier in the day and left the live wires exposed.

Bonga survived the incident but is in hospital with serious burn wounds.

His mum, Thabile Gwala (52), told Daily Sun her son is lucky to be alive.

She said she was at a funeral when she was notified of the incident.

“I arrived at the scene and for a while did not know how to react. Neighbours told me he was playing with other village boys when he hid in the electricity box,” said Thabile.

Neighbours told her they rushed outside when they heard a loud explosion.

“They found my son inside and he was in a terrible condition.

“I thank God for making the box explode, otherwise my son would have burned to death,” she said.

Thabile said while she did not condone what the kids did, she believed that if municipal workers had closed the box her son would not have been in the horrific incident.

Municipal spokesman Mdu Ncalane said he could not comment before investigations had been completed. He said: “We ask parents to teach their kids not to play near electricity.”