A shack caught fire in the Tswelopele informal settlement in Tembisa on Friday while president Cyril Ramaphosa was addressing the community.

Bu Ramaphosa and other ANC leaders who are in Tembisa on an electioneering campaign - dubbed 'Thuma Mina', left the scene and dashed off to the next stop in their campaign.

Ramaphosa was speaking about the need to electrify the area and provide residents with decent houses as the shack caught fire. 

As Ramaphosa was ending off his speech, residents started rushing to the shack a short distance away as they saw dark smoke bellowing.

The residents started helping the family who lived there and grabbed buckets of water in an attempt to put out the fire.

Other residents rushed into the shack to rescue what was left of the family's belongings.

The fire is believed to have been sparked by a primus stove.