EVERY year the festive season becomes crazy for two reasons: shoppers and crime.
This is why Cresta Shopping Centre in Joburg offers a downloadable booklet to teach shoppers to be more safety aware.
Here are some of their safety tips:
- Let your family and friends know of your shopping plans and when you will be back.
- Always physically test that your car is locked before leaving to check it against car-remote jamming devices that interfere with your car’s remote control locking systems.
Shopping with children
- Point out security guards so your children know where to get help if they get lost.
- Make sure your child does not lean on the handrail – the excess weight can slow the escalator down and throw riders off balance
- Lift toddlers on and off the step – shoes and boots with soft rubber soles have been known to slip into cracks between steps and the escalator wall.
When leaving the centre
- Be alert when exiting malls.
- Have your car keys in hand before you get to your car. When you return to your car be aware of your surroundings.
- If you suspect you are being followed, do NOT drive directly home but drive to the nearest police station.
Protect your information
- Protect your ATM PIN number.
- Memorise your PIN number – never write it down or share it with anyone.
Report suspicious behaviour
- By reporting suspicious activity you help lower the risk of crime.
- If you see suspicious activity or persons, tell centre security or SAPS immediately.