4 months ago
DRUNK MAN BLAMED FOR FIRE!
Fire left one man dead in Masiphumelele kasi on Saturday morning. Photo by Ayatolah September  ~ 

DRUNK drivers are among the main killers on Mzansi roads. 

But cooking while drunk can be just as dangerous! 

Residents of Masiphumelele kasi outside Fish Hoek in Cape Town were left homeless and fuming after another shack fire started when a cooking stove was left unattended, allegedly by a drunk man. 

The 25-year-old – known only as Farai – died as he tried to escape the fire that started in his shack. 

The dead man was allegedly cooking and left the stove unattended. 

“The same thing happened last year. A person cooked, fell asleep and died in the fire. 

“We weren’t surprised when we heard that is how the fire started. They go out drinking all night and come back and cook. They do not seem to learn. 

“Now he’s resting in peace and those who are left behind have to start from scratch all over again,” said one resident who didn’t want to be named. 

She lost all her belongings in the fire while 20 more people were left homeless after the fire ripped through their shacks on Saturday morning. 

Fire victim Agnes Moyo (30) said: “It was about 7am when I saw smoke coming in from the outside. 

“I rushed outside and saw the shack right behind mine was on fire. The fire was huge and close. I ran for my life and couldn’t save a thing. 

“Firefighters were quick to respond. It is sad that someone lost his life,” said Agnes. 

Western Cape police spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Andre Traut confirmed the incident. 

“An inquest case docket has been registered,” said Traut. 

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Has your employer registered you with the Department of Labour?

Do you know which one of these is NOT a reason to file a grievance?